Torben Andersen

Suggestion for ATC chart

Hi all

While charts are easily available from real world sources (AIPs/Eurocontrol), I sometimes get a little lost as to which VATSIM ATC sector covers which areas. A sector such as EKDK is not difficult to grasp, but when more sectors are open, it might get a little tricky as to which controller to contact. As VATSCA several years ago changed callsigns and started using numbers in the sector name it became a challenge to the pilots to guess, which controller covered which sector. In the UK I can find a chart showing me the sectors (https://vatsim.uk/area-sectors/) but I haven't found such a chart for SCA or indeed many other countries. While Scandinavia is not the biggest challenge for me (ex-enroute controller VATSCA), I think many pilots could use such a chart. I know I could use one when flying in Germany (all those pesky Langen radar sectors :-[ ). The controllers have them (at least as sectors on Euroscope), but pilots don't.

Just a suggestion,

Torben

• Like 1

Martin Loxbo    355

It's a good idea but it's difficult to get such a chart 100% correct, as the sectorisation can change on a tactical basis. For example, if in Sweden we have ESOS_CTR and ESMM_K_CTR online, normally ESMM K would only cover ESMM sector K, and ESOS would cover the rest of the FIR. That would be the normal case, but the two controllers could also agree that ESMM K will also cover let's say ESMM  sector L and sector 5, and instantly it becomes a bit more complicated to show on a map.

Ideally the controller should put which area is covered in the Controller Info (a.k.a. "text ATIS"), but in busy situations with many sectors opening and closing, updating the Controller Info is usually not the first priority...

In Sweden you can find information on each sector in the ATC Local Operating Procedures, or just check the AIP since the sectors are basically the same.

Writing this I realise that for a pilot, maybe all this information is not so easy to find... So maybe we could make a basic map showing the various sectors. It will not be 100% correct all the time but it would be better than nothing. :)

• Like 1

Thank you, Henry - nice to know. But it is more the VATSIM sectors, which is my interest, as they not always are identical to real world sectors. On Vatsim real world sectors are often merged into fewer sectors. Finland is no different - it's very seldom all the sectors shown on your map are manned, so a general VATSCA map would be nice.

Thanks

Torben

Jouka Ahponen    250

It's almost impossible to make such a map because for example in Finland there is so many different sector split and ownership combinations with different sectors being online.

Lets take an example. Normally EFES_D_CTR is online handling all Finnish sectors. The EFES_G_CTR logs on and takes some of those sectors in his ownership and some of the sectors are left for D_CTR. Then again EFES_J_CTR logs on etc etc.

Different sectors are opened where needed and there is no standard route where with this sector online, next this, that and that has to be opened in certain order. Ownerships vary depending on which combination of sectors are on. Therefore to cover all the possible combinations we would need to make +100 individual charts just for one country. Practical? No.

General concept is that in Finland, Sweden, Denmark and Iceland a sector that owns all other sectors with no-one else online is manned first. Only in Norway there is different concept where the areas are split a bit but even there the first Oslo Sector to log on should cover all other Oslo sectors as well. That's why in Finland we always use EFES_D_CTR first. That owns all the other Finnish sectors. Sector ownership in the end is very complicated thing with, as said, multiple different combinations. But in general the first position opened should cover all the other sectors as well.

• Like 2

Kristian Kling    175

@Torben Andersen the sector design doesnt usually have to be a concern of the pilot.

Your current controller will always hand you off to the next approperiate sector. If you approch a controlled sector from uncontrolled airspace, you will get a "Contact me" message. If you fly VFR and wish to climb into or enter controlled airspace, the sectors are given in the charts. If you start up at an airport and you dont know who to contact, the ATC ATIS line might give you some clue.

Also most importantly, nobody will ever be  angry with you for calling the wrong sector :) 

• Like 1